What is Search Engine Marketing (SEM)?
Search Engine Marketing (SEM) is the process of increasing website traffic by buying ads on search engines like Google/Bing.
You might be already knowing about search engine marketing, even if you don’t know how it works. For example: if you do a search for ‘leather shoes for men’ you will see a few search results with ‘Ad’ and few organic results. The paid ‘Ads’ results are run by search engine marketing.
Why use Search Engine Marketing?
The biggest advantage of Search Engine Marketing (SEM) is the fact that people use search engines to find answers to their queries or purchase something online.
In this process, it makes sense to run an Ad to show your business on top of the search engine results page. By doing so you get the opportunity to target people based on their search intent. What people search will get you a close idea of there are they in their buyer journey.
Thus, giving you an opportunity to gain customers and convert them on your landing page for a sale. Another reason is you only pay when someone clicks on your ads so it makes sense to pay only for actual traffic on your website. To sum up, Search engine marketing is a powerful option for your business. It’s a simple and effective way to run target people when they are actively looking for a solution online.
What are the Different Types of Search Engine Marketing (SEM)?
There are three main types of search engine marketing (SEM) – all have a similar aim to show you higher on the search engine results page (SERP).
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC): Here you run ads on Google or Bing. This is a paid method.
- Organic SEO: This is a type of SEO that focuses on getting your website rank for keywords in unpaid non-local search results. This is a non-paid method. If you want to learn about SEO check out my blog How to do Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Local SEO: This is a type of SEO that focuses on getting your business listing to show up in Google map results. This is a no-paid method
How does Search Engine Marketing work?
Search engine marketing works on a system of the Ad auction. Let’s discuss how this Ad auction works for Search engine marketing.
How does the Search engine marketing Ad Auction work?
Let’s take the example of Google ads ad auction. The ad auction process occurs every time when someone does a Google search.
To win auction advertisers identify keywords they want their ads to show when people search for them. Then advertisers set bids (money they are willing to spend on each click) when their ads appear.
The ad auction process takes place every single time someone enters an inquiry query into Google. To be entered into the ad auction, advertisers identify keywords they need to bid on and state what proportion they’re willing to spend (per click) to possess their ads to appear alongside results relating to those keywords.
So, when someone searches with the keywords you targeted your ads show based on your few factors that Google uses to determine the position of your ad.
How Ads ‘Win’ the Ad Auction
Now you may be wondering how Ads win the auction. Most of us will think that the one who pays the highest bid will win the Ad auction. However, this is not that simple.
There are 3 main factors in the ad auction that determine which ads appear, and in what order:
- Your bid – This is the amount you are willing to pay to Google to show your ad for a given keyword
- The quality of your ads – Google Ads look at how relevant your ad and your landing page are with respect to the search query. Your headline should contain the keywords used in the search query. Your landing page should also talk about the same keyword. The quality of your ad is what is determined by quality score, which you can monitor—and work to improve—in your Google Ads account
- Ad extensions and other ad formats – In Google ads when you create your ad, you have the option to add more information in your ads. These are called Ad extensions which are phone number, site additional links, app links, etc. So by adding relevant extensions, you get more visibility on Google search. This means you get more value from your ads.
Together, these 3 factors determine how your ad will appear to potential customers.
How to do Search Engine Marketing (SEM) in the right way?
1. Know Your Target Audience
This is the most important step in your search engine marketing strategy. You need to know who you are targeting before you go and create your search engine marketing campaign. This includes knowing what is your target audience location, the language they speak when they are most active online, what they want/what they are looking for?
2. Find the right keywords for your search ads
Try to focus on keywords that are relevant to your business. To find the right keywords that are relevant for your business think of what people will search to find your website. For example: if you have a bakery business.
It would be good to use keywords like best bakery shop near me, bakery shop online in <location>, etc. Create a list of such keywords. You can also use branded keywords that have your brand name in it, they also have good conversion rates.
3. Use Google Keyword Planner Tool
Now you need to go to the Google Keyword Planner tool to check the search volume, suggested bids and competition level for your chosen keywords. Also, you will get keywords suggestions which closely match your selected list.
Now a pro tip in Google Keyword planner tool is to check for keywords that have high relevance, high traffic but low competition. This way your chance of showing up on Google Ads increases. You can also choose high competitive keywords if you have the budget to run them
4. Organize your Google/Bing ads account:
Most people make this mistake of not choosing a well-organized account structure when they run ads on Google/Bing. Let’s take the example of a Google ads account. A Google ads account is divided into account, campaign, ad group
How to Organize your Google ads account:
- Organize your campaigns and ad group when you create them. If you are thinking of organizing an already created Google ads account with lots of ad groups it will become very difficult to do so
- When you need a campaign which has a different budget or location targeting, it is better to create a dedicated campaign with its own ad groups and keywords for better management. For example for a bakery business, it makes sense to create a campaign for pastries and a different campaign for cakes because both can have different budgets
- Organize your ad groups with a theme, with each ad group speaking about a different theme. Like our bakery example, there can be ad groups like cakes campaign can have ad groups: butter cake, cupcake. Pastries campaign can have ad groups: Croissants, Pies
- Create at least 3 ads in the ad groups who contain the keywords in their headings. The optimize setting optimizes your ads for clicks in each individual auction using signals like search terms, keywords, location, device and more. Learn about Ad rotation settings
Improve your Google ads quality
When writing your ad copy, it is very important to think about the experience your website visitor will have after clicking on your ad and going towards your landing page.
To improve your Google ads quality keep these points in mind:
- Put Keywords in ad copy: Use your keywords in your Google ads headline or description. For example, if you are targeting keywords like best cupcakes. Your ad copy can contain this keyword in the headline or description of the ad. Now your call to action should be something which shows what people can expect after they click on this ad. It can be something like: Check out our delicious cupcakes, rather than just putting buy cupcakes. If you are running a discount your headline can be ‘Get 25% Off on delicious cupcakes!’ rather than just ‘Buy Cupcakes online’
- Put your USP in ad copy: This is really important if you want your ads to stand out from your competition. Unique selling point (USP) separates your business from others in terms of some quality which differentiates you from your competitors. Like your USP can be ‘We deliver cupcakes same day’
Conclusion: So in this post, I have talked about ‘search engine marketing (SEM). starting from what is Search Engine Marketing, how it works, then moving towards why to use search engine marketing, types of SEM and finally how to do search engine marketing.
I am listing some more resources below for you to learn digital marketing and blogging:
If you need help to start a WordPress blog. You can check my article on ‘How to start a blog and make money‘. Also, if you are looking to create a News/Magazine blog I recommend you to use Newspaper WordPress Theme. You can check my Newspaper WordPress theme review to know more about this theme. For other WordPress themes, you can check my article on the best WordPress themes for blogs. You can also check Articoolo Review to know how to automatically create content for your blog.
Also, it is important that you choose a good theme to build your website, I recommend the Newspaper theme which can be used for any type of website and it is really good. Read my Newspaper WordPress Theme Review to know it’s features that make it a great WordPress theme.
If you want to learn about the best tool for SEO keyword research and monitoring check my articles on Long Tail Pro Review and Accuranker Review. To learn how to increase traffic to your website read my article on how to increase traffic to your website. If you want to create stunning videos for your blog I would recommend try Camtasia. It is an excellent video editing software. You can read my Camtasia Review to know more about this software.