Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we recommended. Read more about Affiliate disclosure here
So you want to create a digital marketing strategy for your business. A good digital marketing strategy helps you to plan your goals, set a business mission then setting up your unique selling point (USP). Understanding what you want to achieve and creating a plan to achieve that goal will help you make the right decisions at the right time.
To help you create a working digital marketing strategy. I am giving you a 10 step digital marketing implementation plan which will help you achieve your business goals:
Step 1: Set a mission statement and USP (Unique selling point) for business:
A successful digital marketing strategy focuses on your mission statement and USP. A mission statement is a statement of what makes the business important. A mission statement is a declaration of what makes the business important.
It should tell others why the business exists and what makes it different. For example, a mission statement for a blog which provides digital marketing knowledge like mine can be ‘Our mission at XYZ is sharing our knowledge with honesty, originality, and authenticity’.
The Key Elements of a Mission Statement
You should focus your mission statement on these four elements:
- Value – What value the business gives to both customers and employees?
- Inspiration – What should people work for the company?
- Plausibility – It should sound reasonable
- Specificity – It should tie back to the business
How to create a USP (Unique selling point) for your business?
The USP of your business is what makes it different from the competitors. A good USP can help you attract and retain more customers. You should focus on how you can solve problems of a customer rather than just selling it.
Use this USP template to determine your company’s USP (I took my blog as example you can replace the text inside the brackets to put your own):
- For [new entrepreneurs/digital marketers/bloggers]
- Who [want to learn digital marketing]
- [Achal Tomar]
- Is [the best dedicated online digital marketing blog]
- That [provides the digital marketing tips and training from the comfort of your home]
- Unlike [other paid programs]
- [Achal Tomar] is [the digital marketing expert in India that provides digital marketing tips for FREE]
Once you set a good USP you are in the right position in your digital marketing implementation plan.
Step 2: Define your Goals
Every digital marketer should know the importance of this stage. Without goals, your digital marketing strategy is a guitar without strings. So defining them is your first step. Maybe you are looking to increase your blog subscribers by 30% or increase sales by 10%. With the digital marketing trends changing rapidly. You must-have digital marketing goals to get success.
Goals should be set as the SMART rule. You may wonder what a SMART goal is? SMART is an acronym that stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely.
SMART goals are:
- Specific: Well defined and clear
- Measurable: With specific criteria that can measure your goal progress
- Achievable: Must be achievable, you can ask questions if this has been achieved in the past by others?
- Relevant: Goals should relate to your company’s overall business goals
- Time-bound: It should have a defined timeline for completion. This is to create urgency.
So let’s look at an example of SMART Goal:
Goal Name: Increase Blog Traffic Goal
- Specific: I want to increase our blog’s traffic by increasing our monthly blog publishing frequency from 5 to 8 times a month. I/my bloggers will increase the work from writing 5 to 8 blogs each month.
- Measurable: 8% increase is our goal
- Attainable: Our blog traffic increased by 5% when we increased our blog frequency from 3 to 5 each month.
- Relevant: By increasing our blog traffic we will increase subscribers/leads, which eventually will increase sales
- Time-bound: End of this month
So setting SMART goals will help you to know what you are going to achieve, what actions you need to take to achieve that goal, purpose of the goal and time needed for goal completion.
Digital Marketing Strategy Step 3: Create a Buyer Persona
A Buyer Persona is a fictional person who represents your target customer. This covers their interests and problems.
Once you know which audience segment you are targeting it makes easy for you to create a digital marketing strategy around it. Remember below points for creating a buyer persona for your digital marketing strategy:
- Research your target audience: Identify your current customer database for whom you have created your blog/product. Like age, location, language, interests, buying behavior, etc
- Identify customer pain points: This includes problems or challenges your potential customers facing
- Identify customer goals: You can use social media to check what your target customers are talking about using hashtags. This gives an idea about what motivates your customers
- Identify how your brand can help: Think about how your product/service can solve their problem?
- Create buyer personas: Now you can create a buyer persona by clubbing all the information you had into an ideal customer profile that can be used by your brand to target. To create your own buyer persona, you can make use of online tools like MakeMyPersona
Step 4: Digital Marketing Strategy: Focus on blogging
Blogging can be done using a video blog or a written blog like mine. It is needed for an effective digital marketing strategy. Once you created a buyer persona you can write content which talks about your audience pain points and provides a solution to them.
This will help you gain trust and repeat visitors to your website. If you need help to start a WordPress blog. You can check my article on ‘How to start a blog and make money‘. Also, if you are looking to create a News/Magazine blog I recommend you to use Newspaper WordPress Theme.
Check my article on the best WordPress themes for blogs. You can also check Articoolo Review to know how to automatically create content for your blog. If you want to create stunning videos for your blog I would recommend try Camtasia. It is an excellent video editing software. You can read my Camtasia Review to know more about Camtasia video editor.
You can check my article on ‘Top 10 Important Search Engine Optimization Tips For Your Website‘ to learn about to do SEO for your website and boost search ranks.
Step 5: Identify digital marketing channels
This is where most people get confused. With so many digital marketing channels like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, SEO, Pay Per Click (PPC), SEO which channel to choose to increase traffic to your website or blog can be confusing.
S,o to choose them you need to first define your goals and the target audience that we have already seen previously. Once you know your target audience it is easy to identify which channels are most used by them.
Simply put, you need to match each of your target audiences to the digital marketing platforms that are most used by each of these audience groups. Then you need to create a campaign around these channels as per your objectives.
Step 6: Create a content strategy for your target audience
Once you identify your digital marketing channels you need to think about what type of content should I produce which will drive traffic to my website?
Now to know what people are actually sharing online you can use a tool like buzz sumo to know what content is trending on the internet. You can use it to create content around keywords that people actually like and share.
You can create ‘how-to’ articles focusing on solving a problem or information which your target audience is looking for. For a blog, the main focus should be creating blog posts around keywords and topics which are trending so that you gain more traffic with time.
You can also include more topics in your already created blog post (reuse content) which is actually an excellent content strategy to rank for keywords that you are not ranking for. You can do keyword research and use Google Search Console to check which keywords you are getting impressions and not clicks and add to your content
Step 7: Create a content calendar
Now once you know what to publish for your blog. The next thing is to determine on what time you should produce it. You can use a calendar in the following ways:
- Create a content calendar for your digital marketing strategy using Google Spreadsheet/Excel
- Add timelines for each blog post like time to start and finish the posts
- If you want to advertise or promote any of these blog posts mark them so that you remember them when you use them in your promotions
- Determine the digital channels like sharing on Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn for your different blog posts
Step 8: Resource planning
Now you need to determine who will work on your content plan. If you the single man running the show you need to do that hard work on your own.
But if you have a team you can assign people to take over different parts of the digital marketing plan. Like content creators, marketers, analytics teams to maximize your efforts.
Step 9: Use the right technology
Now you need to equip your team with the right digital marketing tools so that they can maximize their productivity. Few tools you can use for various marketing activities listed below are:
- Social Media: You can use a tool like Buffer to add and schedule your social media posts. Learn Facebook Marketing from my Facebook Ads Guide. Also, focus on increasing social media share for your blog.
- Email Marketing: To get people subscribed to your blog/website you can use Mailchimp
- SEO: To boost your web rankings you can use Semrush for running site audits, competitor research, and a lot more. Check my Semrush tutorial to learn how to use this SEO tool
- Content calendar: You can use Google Spreadsheet or Microsoft outlook
- Advertising: You can use Google Ads to run campaigns on Google. Also, you can run campaigns on social media platforms as well
Step 10: Analyze your digital marketing efforts
This is really important if you are serious about your digital marketing strategy. You need an analytics tool like Google Analytics and Google Search Console to track your entire marketing and SEO efforts.
Set up KPIs like Return on Investment (ROI), Visits, Conversions to track how much you gain from your marketing efforts. Keep on optimizing your website to achieve your business goals. For Affiliate Marketing and to make money online I recommend using ShareASale. Check my ShareASale Review to learn about ShareASale. I hope this digital marketing strategy will work for your business. Let me know if you have any questions in the comments section.